THE LAURA JANE MUSSER FUND NEXT GENERATION PROGRAM is a small and short-term grant-making program which will be awarding grants in 2015 and 2016. In 2016, this initiative seeks to support a limited number of new or ongoing programs or projects that make real change in the environment, the community, and the lives of youth. Grants in 2016 will likely be between $5,000 and $10,000.
GRANTS WILL BE MADE TO ENVIRONMENTAL PROJECTS THAT:
- Demonstrate service to at-risk youth, and
- Provide education as it relates to the environment, and
- Work at a local level
PRIORITY WILL BE PLACED ON PROGRAMS OR PROJECTS THAT DEMONSTRATE CLEAR EXAMPLES OF:
- Community Engagement
- Entrepreneurial skill-building
- A focus on environmental sustainability
LIMITS OF GEOGRAPHY:
Only programs or projects located in Minnesota or New York are eligible to apply.
WHAT WILL NOT BE FUNDED:
- Capital Campaigns
- General Operating Expenses
WHO CAN APPLY:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations with an annual budget of $2 million or less
- Organizations located within one of the eligible states listed above
HOW TO APPLY:
Proposals will be accepted online starting March 7, 2016 and must be submitted by April 7, 2016. Funding decisions will be announced by August 2016.
Please construct your application with the following attachments (see below for inclusions). We suggest you read through the information below PRIOR to beginning your online application.
The online proposal process will include:
- Proposal Narrative (please limit your narrative to a total of 5 pages)
- Personnel Lists
- Budgets (as listed below)
- Letters of Support
- IRS Status 501(c)(3) Letter
Only complete proposals from qualifying organizations will be accepted.
To apply: click here.
Proposal Narrative (5 pages or less):
- Organizational Description: Please provide a brief description of your organization, it's history, role in the community and services it provides.
- Background: What is your organization's experience in the area outlined in your proposal?
- Goals and activities: Describe the overall goal(s) of your program/project and provide a timeline for implementation of the goals and activities.
- Please describe how the program/project will:
a) Make real change in the environment, the community, and the lives of youth,
b) Serve at-risk youth, provide education as it relates to the environment, and work at a local level, and
c) Demonstrate clear examples of impact, community engagement, entrepreneurial skill-building, and a focus on environmental sustainability.
- Community Involvement & Stakeholder Engagement: Describe the community's involvement in this program/project. Describe the key stakeholders and how they will be involved. (Signed letters of support are required as described below.)
- Program/Project Leaders: Identify the leaders of the program, their qualifications, and any special skills they bring to the work.
- Outcomes & Community Impact: List the outcomes and community impact of this program/project.
The Directors of the Laura Jane Musser Fund continue to be interested in the replicability of programs requesting funding. If you have plans to share your program results, please include them in your proposal.
- Staff - please include a staff list identifying the organizational leaders and the experience they bring to the organization.
- Board of Directors - please include a list of the members of the Board of Directors, their affiliations, and their terms.
- Organizational Budgets - for the previous year and for the current year. For the previous year, please submit your actual expenses and revenue detail. For the current year, please submit a year-to-date budget-to-actual statement that includes expense and revenue detail, revenue sources, and what is secured and what is pending.
- Program/Project Budget - please include expense and revenue detail, also include revenue sources, amounts, and what is secured and what is pending.
Letters of Support:
- Please include letters of support from at least two (but not more than four) community members and institutions involved in your proposed program/project. Please make sure the letters are signed and, when appropriate, on letterhead. The Fund is only able to consider letters that are attached to the proposal when it is submitted.
IRS Status Letter:
- Please include a copy of your 501(c)(3) letter.